[ 2.00a ] NetherPanel -- Now cleans up unused addons and SVs

Support and feedback for NetherPanel
AKA java UniUploader

Do you recon jUniUploader is ready for the BETA tag?

ALPHA: I feel there's still quite a few things that go wrong or quite a few features missing.
46%
BETA: jUniUploader has been running quite smoothly in this latest release. It does everything I need it to do.
38%
RELEASE: Are you kidding me? This stuff runs better than my car does! Release it already!
15%

Total votes : 13

[ 2.00a ] NetherPanel -- Now cleans up unused addons and SVs

Postby lhunath » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:09 pm

Howdy;

As you all probably know; jUniUploader has been discontinued quite some time ago. Since there are however, a lot of Mac and Linux users out there (including myself); I decided to take over the work and make a new jUniUploader. jUniUploader has come a long way and has now been renamed to NetherPanel.

NetherPanel has nothing in common with the old one, other than its programming language (Java). It's currently strongly in under development state. It's been built from the ground up with various coding practices kept in mind. NetherPanel REQUIRES Java 5; but several features are only available when the user runs Java 6. Java is available for free from http://java.sun.com

I've focussed my attentions to looks, usability, and functionality. I value Ace addons very much, and also the ability to update them directly from the Ace SVN. As such this NetherPanel comes with a built-in addon manager that can check the Ace SVN seamlessly.

I think you will be impressed with the featurebase I have so far; but do provide me with constructive advice, comments, and feature-requests, should you have any.

Alright; let me introduce the animal.

It's basically a Java application that you use to start WoW. It replaces the WoW launcher from blizzard and automatically uploads your character data to the guild website so that it is available in the roster and for future guild homepage features.

In any case; one of the extras that NP will take care of, is keep your addons nicely up to date, and make sure you have all the addons installed that are required by the guild. No more browsing websites to try and find the up-to-date versions of your addons every patchday.

Let me outline the current features:
  • Full-featured Addon manager.
    • Lists all installable addons (from the Ace repository or managed by your guild's UniAdmin) with their descriptions.
    • Easily find the addons that provide the features you are looking for.
      • Ace addons are conveniently sorted in their categories.
      • A search box lets you browse the long list of addons quickly.
      • An advanced search tool lets you search through addon descriptions.
    • Can show colored differences between the old and new versions of addons during upgrade.
    • Can keep your addon directories clean of unnecessary and old files.
      • Prevent the deletion of custom files (such as textures, fonts, ...) based on a Regular Expression pattern.
    • Install Ace addons with embedded libraries or keep the libraries external.

• Quickly get to where you need to go!
    • Launch WoW button.
    • Guild homepage button.
    • Guild forums button.
    • Guild roster button.

• Automatically uploads your WoW characters' information to the guild roster.
    • Without your intervention.
    • Even installs the CharacterProfiler and GuildProfiler and keeps them up-to-date for you.
    • Detects new information and uploads it automatically (WoW writes this to the files on reloadui/exit).
    • Splits your CharacterProfiler and uploads it in parts so that it doesn't cause Out of Memory errors on the rosters.

• Appealing look, easy to manage.
    • Straight-forward interface.
    • Elegant design.
    • Customizable color themes.
    • Full-screen / windowed mode.
    • Translucent splash screen.

• Only shows itself when you want it to.
    • Hides in the System Tray.
    • System Tray menu has relevant links; for example, to launch WoW.
    • Great for having it auto-start with your computer, ready to update your character data, addons or quickly launch WoW.

• Very flexible and configurable.
    • Nearly any feature can be configured.
    • Configuration options are immediately applied. No need to restart anything.

• Very OS-friendly.
    • Supports Java 1.5 and 1.6 (the latter is recommended).
    • Should run on any operating system with Java installed. Tested on:
      • Windows
      • Macintosh OS X
      • Linux

• Custom guild logos.
    • Brand your guild's NetherPanel using the logo you uploaded to UniAdmin.
    • Supports transparancy and PNG translucency for some interesting eye-candy.

• Supports WebStart.
    • NetherPanel works entirely through WebStart.
    • No hassle installing the program. Just click the link to start NetherPanel.
    • To create a NetherPanel shortcut on your Desktop (or elsewhere):
      • Right-click the "Start NetherPanel" link and select "Save as..." (or whatever your browser uses).
      • Save the file to your Desktop (or elsewhere).
      • Start NetherPanel by simply doubleclicking the file.

It will upload your data to the guild roster for you, autodetect where you've installed WoW and manage your addons seamlessly. I would really like for as many people to just try this one out, and tell me whether it works or not, and what they think of it. Any features you can think of will be increadibly welcome.

To start NP, just click the image below. It will install (or update) your NetherPanel and start it for you.

Have fun!

This application requires AT LEAST Java 5!
Some extra features (System tray, opening webpages, sending email) require Java 6!

Java is FREE, and you should update to the very latest version, if only for the improved speed, stability, prettyness and security!
Download Java 6 Here

Start it immediately, no manual installation required! (Click the image:)

Homepage:

Last edited by lhunath on Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:55 am, edited 31 times in total.
"OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?"
-- Zaphod Beeblebrox

= NetherPanel: home - launch - tickets =
lhunath
UA/UU Developer
UA/UU Developer

jUniUploader - Rereleased!

Postby zanix » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:26 pm

Very nice, I'll have to test this when I have the chance

By the way, your download link has a 404 error
Read the Forum Rules, the WiKi, and Search before posting!
WoWRoster v2.1 - SigGen v0.3.3.523 - WoWRosterDF
zanix
Admin
Admin
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
UA/UU Developer
UA/UU Developer

Realm: Doomhammer (PvE) - US

Postby lhunath » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:47 pm

I just clicked them myself as well; and they start a download on my pc. What URL is it that gives you an error and what error exactly?
Last edited by lhunath on Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?"
-- Zaphod Beeblebrox

lhunath
UA/UU Developer
UA/UU Developer

Postby ds » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:24 pm

Well just a quick look at this app and "WoW" comes to mind! Great Job so far! :) RoA might just get automagic uploads again :)
ds
Roster AddOn Dev
Roster AddOn Dev

Postby lhunath » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:00 pm

Excuse the ignorance, but what is RoA? :P
-- Zaphod Beeblebrox

lhunath
UA/UU Developer
UA/UU Developer

Postby PleegWat » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:17 pm

His guild (look at his sig).
I <3 /bin/bash
PleegWat
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team

Postby Sagittarius » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:03 am

Tried it on windows machine and i think all works fine, you did a great job so far. And now some questions:

- is it possible to preconfigure the settings for guild homepage button, guild forums button, settings sync url and character upload url so i might deploy this tool to my guildies
- is it possible to host an own build of the webstarter
Sagittarius
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby shadydude » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:45 am

This is amazing it looks cool and is so much easier to use than the old version, cant wait for the final releas when i can give it to my guild :)
Go for the eyes boo go for the eyes
shadydude
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby MattM » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:42 am

wow this is awesome lhunath!

very nice job!
MattM
UA/UU Developer
UA/UU Developer
Gimpy Developer
Gimpy Developer

Postby zanix » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:31 am

Read the Forum Rules, the WiKi, and Search before posting!
WoWRoster v2.1 - SigGen v0.3.3.523 - WoWRosterDF
zanix
Admin
Admin
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
WoWRoster.net Dev Team
UA/UU Developer
UA/UU Developer

Realm: Doomhammer (PvE) - US

Re: jUniUploader - Rereleased!

Postby lhunath » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:59 am

Sagittarius wrote:- is it possible to preconfigure the settings for guild homepage button, guild forums button, settings sync url and character upload url so i might deploy this tool to my guildies

Certainly; jUniUploader fetches its default settings from UniAdmin. You should install that on a webserver, and as soon as you input the URL that UniAdmin gives you, it will fetch default settings from there. Some settings such as guild homepage/forum/.. are always updated from UniAdmin, some settings such as Use systray, ... are only updated if they aren't saved on the computer yet.

The guild homepage and guild forums buttons use ADDVARVAL3 and ADDVARVAL4 settings respectively in UniAdmin's "UniUploader Sync Settings" page.

Sagittarius wrote:- is it possible to host an own build of the webstarter

Certainly, just rightclick the image and click Save target as. This'll download a JNLP file. Upload it to your server, and link to this file. Whenever somebody clicks that link, jUniUploader'll start (provided they have Java installed). It will also automatically update Java to version 6 if they have a version below 5 (which is the minimum required version).
-- Zaphod Beeblebrox

lhunath
UA/UU Developer
UA/UU Developer

Postby lhunath » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:59 pm

Updated to 0.9.3.

Main improvements:
- Automatically manages CharacterProfiler and GuildProfiler addons through rpgoutfitter (They'll be in the addon list whether they're added in UniAdmin or not - and kept nicely up to date).
Last edited by lhunath on Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Zaphod Beeblebrox

lhunath
UA/UU Developer
UA/UU Developer

Postby Sagittarius » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:45 pm

yeah works like a charm, thank you for your help:

- is gzip support possible, would be nice to save load

as for the webstarter, i thought about an own build with my settings for upload url, forums url etc.
Sagittarius
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Postby lhunath » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:12 pm

You're free to download the application, extract it to a folder, start the application, change the settings to suit your guild's and exit the application. Zip the folder and distribute it instead of jUniUploader.zip.

Your guildies can then still use jUniUploader's auto-updater from that point on, the config file only gets deleted if settings change that make it completely unusable or unreliable.
-- Zaphod Beeblebrox

lhunath
UA/UU Developer
UA/UU Developer

Postby Sagittarius » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:41 pm

ahh didnt know that the settings were stored in the same folder
Last edited by Sagittarius on Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sagittarius
WR.net Apprentice
WR.net Apprentice

Next

Return to NetherPanel